When you decide to adopt a dog, you’re essentially adding a new member to your family. Similar to having kids, it’s important to nurture and love them as much as you can. However, taking care of your four-legged buddy can be expensive over time.
While there are several top-of-the-line pet products available today, you may be interested in cutting costs with delicious, homemade recipes. Fortunately, there are numerous recipes that will help you save money that can also provide a healthier snack option for your pup than store-bought snacks. In fact, there are several benefits to making homemade treats for your furry companion.
Many dog photographers recommend homemade dog treats over the shop bought treats as they claim they’re more effective in getting the dogs attention. I mean, which dog can resist peanut butter and banana bakes, right?!
What are the benefits of making homemade dog treats?
By taking a do-it-yourself approach, you can make sure your dog’s treats are made up of healthier ingredients without any fillers. This will also allow you to limit fats, preservatives, and other chemicals that are usually found in commercial brands. This is particularly important if you are raising black Cavoodle puppies as they require more frequent feedings.
Cavoodle puppies typically eat 3-4 times a day due to their smaller stomachs. In addition to a premium, small breed formula, Cavoodle puppies can benefit from healthy, homemade treats to reward good behavior. When adopting a Black Cavoodle pup from a reputable breeder, pet owners can promote healthy coat development through these snacks as well.
What’s more, you can also customise the treats based on your pet’s needs. Whether you are trying to work around a food allergy or want to benefit from the nutritional effects of a specific ingredient, homemade dog treat recipes are customisable to promote digestive health. As a bonus, they also taste delicious, so your furry companion will surely want more.
Additionally, making your own dog treats is a fun activity for you and the whole family. If baking or cooking is a hobby, you will surely enjoy recreating these homemade recipes for your pampered pooch at home.
Are you ready to get busy in the kitchen? If so, check out these easy, homemade dog treat recipes:
Peanut Butter Bacon Dog Treats
Who doesn’t love bacon? This recipe is perfect for dogs who prefer the taste of peanut butter and bacon mixed together.
- 2-3 strips of cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 cup of natural peanut butter
- 1-3 cups of whole-rolled or quick oats
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Preheat the oven to 163°C and line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Using a large bowl, mix the milk, egg, and peanut butter together using a rubber spatula or wooden spoon. Then, add the flour and baking powder. Mix in the oats and bacon until the dough is heavy and thick.
- With the use of a floured rolling pin, cut the dough into shapes. You may use cookie cutters or a knife and arrange the pieces on the baking sheets. Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until the bottom appears lightly brown. Remove from the oven and flip the pieces to bake the other side for another 10-12 minutes.
- Once they are ready, allow the treats to cool completely before serving to your furry companion. You can store leftovers at room temperature for up to a week — just make sure your dog can’t reach it!
Chicken and Wild Rice Dog Treats
Who can resist the taste of chicken? If you are looking for a heavy treat that doubles as a full meal, this is the perfect homemade recipe for your pampered pooch. They’re not only easy to make but are also an excellent way to utilise leftover roasted chicken.
- 6 ounces of boiled or grilled boneless chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup of cooked wild rice
- 1/2 cup of chicken stock
- 2 and 1/2 cups of all-purpose flours
- Preheat the oven to about 177°C and combine the rice, chicken, and chicken stock in a blender or mini food processor. Pulse until a paste begins to form.
- Add the egg, salt, flour, and your homemade chicken paste into a bowl and mix it well.
- Sprinkle the flour on a flat surface and knead the dough until the texture is no longer sticky, then spread it out using a rolling pin.
- Cut out different shapes and line them up on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. In this step, you can get more creative and create all sorts of shapes or opt for a cookie-cutter for a more consistent yield.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until it turns light brown. Once ready, allow the treats to cool completely before serving. These treats can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week and can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months for bigger batches. Just make sure to defrost for 10-20 minutes before serving!
Non-Bake, Tasty, Flea Prevention Dog Treats
Keep your canine flea-free without shampoos and toxic collars using this recipe! Made with only 2 ingredients, this homemade recipe contains brewer’s yeast — a natural pest repellent that promotes flea and tick control.
- 1 & 1/8 cups of melted coconut oil
- ½ cup of brewer’s yeast, slightly rounded
- Combine the two ingredients together in a blender and blend for roughly 10 seconds until smooth.
- Transfer the blended mixture into a plastic condiment bottle and use this to fill your silicone pans. You can use any design for the silicone molds. Make sure to trim the tip of the condiment bottle to 1/4 inch from the opening for easier application.
- Chill in the freezer or refrigerator until solid. After removing the treats from the pan, store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 6 months.
These are just a few simple but delectable homemade recipes you can try at home. Whether you are working on new behaviours or simply looking for an excuse to pamper your pooch, give your pup a little treat by making some homemade dog treats!