Beetroot leaves some cooks stuck for ideas, but not us! It’s such a versatile vegetable and can be easily combined with loads of different flavours to create really unique combinations.
We particularly enjoy it on summer salads, with the horseradish giving it a lovely little kick at the end!
- 120g horseradish root. Use more if you would like it stronger
- 600g cooked beetroot. Boiled, baked or roasted. All work well.
- 150ml cider vinegar or balsamic vinegar depending on your preference
- 20ml honey
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Peel, wash and cut the horseradish into small chunks. Give a few strong pulses in the food processor until it turns into small grains. You can also grate if you wish, but you’ll be crying for longer! Cover the bowl when done so it won’t make you cry any more.
- Grate the beetroot. This can either be done by hand on medium size grater or in the foor processor. Same result. Place in the bowl with the grated horseradish.
- Mix the beetroot and the horseradish together along with the rest of the ingredients and mix well using a wooden spoon until nicely combined.
- Decant the mix to a sterilised jar press the relish down to ensure there are no visible air pockets.
- Keep in the fridge for up to 6 months and use when you need a flavour party in your mouth!
This beautiful fresh and lively tasting beetoot relish goes well with so many things, with our favourites being:
- hard boiled eggs
- roast beef
- roast chicken
- smoked fish like trout, mackerel or salmon
- with beetroot and spinach salad
- almost any salad!
- on burgers and hot dogs
If you’re looking to get adventurous with this recipe you could try adding a small amount of orange or lime zest or a few mustard seeds to keep the tastebuds interested.